Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Power of Blogs

We've talked a lot about blogging.  It seems as if most indy media outlets are blogs.

I hate blogging.  It's like keeping a journal.  I was never, ever good at that and I can't seem to be comfortable blogging. It's frustrating for me to keep a blog because I know that I'm not good at it.

Our guest speaker, Mr. Jacobson however has really harnessed the power of blogging.  His blog Legal Insurrection is actually really well set up and great blog wise (even if I don't agree with what he's saying.)

I find that his use of contributors interesting.  His name and picture is right at the top of the page along with his job.  Having people blog for you when you're the face of the blog can we risky.  I mean, what would happen if one of them posted something that offended people and people assumed it was his voice saying that as opposed to one of his regular contributors.  I know being a prominent  blogger while working full time can be hard, but I think it's risky to be putting your name on something when others have content control.

He also doesn't take advantage of getting donations.  If you put it up higher, people will give.  I almost couldn't find the donate button and I wonder if some people are reading it and not realizing that they can donate.  He could be missing out on revenue.

Mr. Jacobson was a great speaker, his blog is very nice, but I don't know if he's getting 100% of what he can out of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment