Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is This the End Of Occupy Wall St.?

I know this is from a mainstream source, but they were the first to pop up on twitter with this story despite the number of indys I follow.


So Bloomberg decided that OWS had to end because "health and safety condition became intolerable" (he apparently hasn't been to some sections of NYC or out of a first world country.  As the movement continues to grow in other cities, it seems the founding city of New York might be coming to the end.

OWS protesters were kicked out of the park (forcibly removed) for camping.

Yes, it turns out the down fall of the movement is they can't have tents.  So they can stay at the park, but they can't use tents. They only have "the power of their arguments"

But with in about 3 minutes of me posting this, things changed. The National Lawyers Guild obtained a court order which allows OWSers to  keep their tents and keep living in Zuccotti Park.  A judge halted Bloomberg's decision and decided they could stay. 

I can't say that I totally agree with what OWS is fighting for.  I think people quitting their jobs to protest is a bit silly.  I don't think that you can complain that you don't have a job if you willingly left that job.  But I still don't think that our first amendment rights should be stamped upon because Bloomberg or leaders think that this is going to damage them.

More interesting is this Twitter timeline of the evacuation. A little bit scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment