Monday, November 14, 2011

The Election, from ICTV

Right now I work for an Independent Media outlet.  Newswatch 16! Last week we had election center and I've had time to critique the show and reflect on what happened so I can write about it.

Last year, we had critiques from a crazy townie who made lots of comments about our female anchor's chest and I was a little bit off set  But I suppose when you're the only local station the crazies watch you and then send you stuff of about your anchors.

This year was small and very local which made a lot of things easier.  We were able to put reporters at every single person running's parties.  We had staffs on data center looking up every single race.  I was proud, I was line producing.

When doing the opening though I realized something.  Our main SOTs that we used were all from Svante Myrick.  Svante is the new 24 year old mayor.  I've had his phone number in my phone for years.  Svante used to send us stories that were happening in the town and when he had a statement to make I was always the reporter.  Svante was more excited than me when I became news director.

Svante loves ICTV, he loves Newswatch and indy media.  He's become close to us not only because he's a huge supporter but because he's our age.  The problem with indy media is because we're not a big name, we're small we don't have the same credibility.  I can't tell you how many times I've had reporters struggle because they can't get an interview because "they're just college students" or "they're not real news."


So to be honest, my connection with Svante and his love for Newswatch may make us seem biased, but really if I sit in your office for 3 hours trying to get an interview and you still won't comment I'm going to somebody who will.

I'm excited that he's in office because now I know we'll get comments from more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment