Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Market for Fantasy Sports

I writing this in the ICTV Greenroom as the sports guys discuss their fantasy sports teams.  More so, they're yelling at me because evidently my boyfriend is beating someone.  Honestly, I don't care, he's got something like 5 leagues.  I can't keep up with them all.  And again, I really prefer to not care.

But now they want me to ask him if he wants to do fantasy basketball.

Fantasy Basketball?  Really?

Then I learned from Rotoworld.com there are fantasy sports for any sport that has a team.  So that leaves out tennis and boxing.  There is fantasy golf and NASCAR.

Then I found a whole host of sites and books that will tell you who to pick, how to get the best team, lists of stats, good trades to make.

Except for ESPN, Yahoo! and CBS  of these are independent websites that give up to the minute sports information.  They run on fees for organizing your fantasy league, some ads and one even runs on donations.  None of them are owned by conglomerates.

In fact, some of these have been quicker to pick up on NFL injury reports than news outlets.  Interesting concept when you think about it.  It's almost like when independent news outlets set the story out first and then the conglomerates get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment