Sunday, December 4, 2011

Accountability

I think all media, independent or conglomerate need be held accountable for their actions.  Be it independent student media, Democracy Now! or the Disney Corp. trying to cover things up.

I only write this because I just fired someone and now because of his actions, he's off all student media in Park.

See, coming into Newswatch and hanging out in my newsroom and doing my show while drinking isn't ok.  I've never been put in this position before.  An assistant producer can't write a show or design graphics under the influence.  So today, I had to fire someone.  I've never been so disappointed and upset in my life. 

I've seen it in another Park media group, who published something under the name of a person who didn't write it.  The person in charge doesn't want to believe it's happening.  It's sad, because good people make bad choices that lessen your outlets' credibility.

I feel that people are quick to jump the gun and attack conglomerate media about covering things up.  Where as Indys like Breitbart are defended for heavy editing by their fellow bloggers and indy outlets.  In fact, in some cases, it isn't until others point out problems that they publish corrections.  Sometimes, I feel that Indy media, like bloggers, sometimes get away with saying certain things because they aren't seen as a "real media source."

I think all media, big or small, indy or conglomerate, professional or amateur needs to be held to the same standards as a way to be held accountable for the things they say and the news they spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment